Monday, March 1, 2010

Every Second Counts


The 2010 Callville Bay Podium holds up their styrofoam checks
(note: new team jerseys to arrive this week)

The crit was fast and the field was often strung out



Alisha chats with the announcer post-race


Dave plays "balloon attack" with Brodie which turned out to be a big hit

Alisha says: After watching weeks of the Olympics where almost all of the races came down to tenths of a second that is exactly what my first race of 2010 came down to. I opened my cycling season with the regional Callville Bay Classic Stage Race in the Vegas area. The first stage was an uphill time trial. I distinctively remember one point in the time trial where I told myself that every second counts as I put in a final effort towards the finish line. I was so anxious waiting for the results. When they were finally posted I was in first but second place had the same time and third and fourth were only three seconds behind.

Saturday's forcast called for rain and that is exactly what we got. The road race was pretty uneventful and there weren't many attacks. Most of the time I was just focused on not shivering because I was so cold. We were informed that the finish was changed via follow car with the guy yelling out the window only a couple of miles before the finish due to a crash at the original finish. So, anyway, before I even knew it we were sprinting and I was still going hard when people around me sat up, so we crossed the finish and I didn't even know it. I was 8th, but everyone got the same time so the general classification stayed the same.

Sunday's crit was the most fun race of the weekend. The race was active and the pace kept high. The pack came in together and I was 9th. Super sprinter Nikki took the top spot in the crit. There were some time bonuses for the top three spots but it didn't change up the top 5 in the GC. I was very excited to have won my first stage race to start the season on a good note.

A BIG thanks to Dave for tagging along and taking care of me. He didn't get to race because his group did an extra stage on Thursday that he couldn't miss school for so he came along as driver/mechanic/car packer/cheerer. Also another BIG thanks to my Aunt Lorrie and Uncle Robert who let us stay at their house and kept us fueled with lots and lots of yummy good food. They are great!!!

No comments: